top of page


In 1792, meetings began, and classes were held in the farm homes of Mrs. Beaten and Mr. Pratts. The training was Methodist, and this was the beginning of the Mount Pisgah church. The training was Methodist, and these classes were the beginning of Mt. Pisgah. At first, the group was called the” Methodist Society of Black People in Gloucester County,” then “Allenites,” and later,” People of Color belonging to the Methodist Society at Snow Hill,” and finally, in 1808 to “Mt. Pisgah Methodist Society at Snow Hill.” The meetings continued in homes until 1808 the first church building was constructed. The ground was purchased for $30.00 and could rule itself instead; a couple of churches in Haddonfield,  Haddonfield Methodist Church, donated materials.


In about 1812, Rev. Richard Allen, a circuit rider, rode frequently to Free Haven (now Lawnside) and preached. He declared the church was capable of ruling itself as opposed to remaining with the Methodist Episcopal Church, now known as the United Methodist. The discussion of governing and control of the property become tenuous so a vote was taken and the” Allenites,” who supported Richard Allen won and retained the property. Later, Mt. Pisgah became a part of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.


Many of the churches that are now located in Lawnside were birthed out of Mt. Pisgah.To name a few, Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, Grace Temple Baptist Church and St. Luke United African Methodist Episcopal Church. There are also a couple of churches in Haddonfield that were also birthed out of Mt. Pisgah, Mt. Pisgah African Methodist Episcopal Church, and St. Rose of Lima Roman Catholic Church.


Mt. Pisgah’s first church of 1808 was torn down, and a new one on Warwick Road was built in 1868. It was said to be more extensive and beautiful, with massive galleries on each side of the belfry and a choir box. The current edifice was built in 1911. Mt. Pisgah is also a charter member of the New Jersey Annual Conference.


Mt. Pisgah’s cemetery (for the burial of its members) is located directly behind and beside the church. Mt. Pisgah’s cemetery is often visited because Rev. Jarena Lee, the first female preacher licensed in the AME Church, is buried here.


Over the years, Mt. Pisgah has always played a leading role in both the spiritual and civic life of the Borough of Lawnside (Free Haven/Snow Hill).


The current pastors are Reverend Josiah and Rochelle Haggins. 


bottom of page